Saturday 2 February 2019

Abstract Art


Abstract Art

A painting on display at a local museum in the English town of *** sparks musings about love and life.


"Fancy" by Elizabeth Chapman



The painting holds my gaze,
its brazen brightness frankly out of place
among the rows of ammonites,
the stern array of local Roman finds
and a late mayor’s treasured display case
of curious Lepidoptera
“Donated to the Town Hall by his Loving Heirs”.

I move back a step or two,
the better to take in
the giant canvas, 
a feast of radiant and resplendent white.
At its heart,
splashes of warm red burst through,
like tongues of fire at dawn
or ripe autumn pomegranates
or like the hour in which
unbidden, blazing, unannounced
you stormed into my life,
charging it with passions new
and wreaking blissful havoc on
my neatly ordered days.

An elderly attendant breaks the spell –  
Strange, I must say, but dazzling”,
he solemnly declares.
How true, my friend, how true...
I nod and mumble to myself,
thinking all awhile
of Love’s mysterious ways
and you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest post

And He Shall Appear by Kate van der Borgh