Monday 26 November 2018

Wedding Blues - A Poem



Amedeo Modigliani - Portrait of Lunia Czechowska

Wedding Blues


I must admit that,
after all those years,
spotting you beside the canapés
gave me quite a start.
I mumbled an excuse,
retreated to the bar
and now stand hidden in the crowd
nursing an indifferent Jack and Coke
and a scar
I’ve just discovered,
right below my heart.

How long has it been?
I flip the curl-edged pages of my life
and find us.  Early college days.
Future yet unmapped.
Shared mates, shared classes,
breaks in the canteen.
Bumpy bus-rides all around the town
on evenings when the sun refused to set.
One night, a coy techno-haloed fumble,
and back to our daily selves.

Then, as in a sepia print,
that morning when you stopped seeking me out,
and a mutual friend, whose name I can’t recall
ventured an unsubtle hint
that some guys are heartless, play too hard to get,
or are just too dumb
to know they have struck gold.
It was then it dawned on me
that our manoeuvres in the dark
which I considered a good-natured lark,
might actually have been
that strange, elusive thing called Love.

All told,
I have since then compiled
a trove of such goodbyes -   
an album to dip into on rainy afternoons.
It should have been so easy, then, 
to walk right up to you,
pluck useless, well-worn phrases
out of the fan-cooled air.
“What a surprise!
You getting along?”
“You haven’t changed at all!”
“Looking great, my dear...”
(All true, this, by the by)

Instead, I plan a quick escape,
greet the bride and groom
and head back to my car.

I hold your silhouette and a budding song.
It will, I guess, suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest post

And He Shall Appear by Kate van der Borgh